GitHub behind proxy servers among other questions

JohnnyK johnnykinsey at comcast.net
Mon Jul 8 12:57:51 PDT 2013

On Monday, 8 July 2013 at 19:37:08 UTC, JohnnyK wrote:
Another thing about GitHub's Download Zip button and this process
as a whole.  While the Download Zip button does allow you to
download the master folders with recursive directories I do find
it somewhat cumbersome or should I say awkward since you have to
extract these in their correct locations upon download.  This is
not good when you are trying to follow someones instructions on
how to download, build, and install their wares.  I just don't
get git?  Just compile the code and put a binary up there for
people to use.  If I want to contribute to the code base then I
will I guess go through all this hassle but for those of us not
smart enough to contribute and just want to use it show me the
binary please.  In the amount of time it is taking to get this
stuff I could have made major strides at building my own.  Also I
don't know what this fragmented downloading is going to do in the
future when I want an updated version of the software.  Please
remember many of us are simpletons and don't use all these fancy
version control systems and just need the binary so that we can
use it.  I guess you could say we are your customers and not your
contributors.  Please everyone in the D community try and follow
the KISS methodology and if you do I bet you could get many more
users of your wares and not people banging their heads until they
give up.  Yeah I was only 2 clicks away from giving up on this
whole D thing thinking it was just too darned hard to make it
worth my while.  Who knows I still may give up since I have not
attempted to compile it yet.  I think I will wait until tomorrow
before I try to tackle that part of the destruction's.  For now I
think I have it downloaded.  BTW did I mention that I really hate
git and compiling other people's code just to use an edit box and
button on a dialog???