for loop parens

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Fri Jul 12 13:40:59 PDT 2013

On 7/12/13 5:38 PM, ixid wrote:
> On Friday, 12 July 2013 at 20:30:59 UTC, bearophile wrote:
>> ixid:
>>
>>> Similarly what are D user's potential issues with Go-like semi-colon
>>> rules? And would this be possible as a subset of current D code?
>>
>> Such changes will not happen even in D4. Walter is strongly against
>> the idea of optional semicolons, on the base that semicolons help the
>> parser, so they allow better error recovery and error messages.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> Is there any evidence that these are issues in Go? That sounds like a
> theoretical objection that isn't attackable when no one has done it but
> turns out not to be terribly important when someone actually does it.

They are not issues in Go, but Walter is strongly against optional
semicolons, as bearophile said. Me and others (like you) like optional
semicolons, but since Walter doesn't and it's his language, that will
not change.

I personally understand much better the code without semicolons, like in
Ruby and Python. And making a parser that way isn't that much difficult,
and error recovery is as powerful.