for loop parens

ixid nuaccount at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 13:46:20 PDT 2013

> They are not issues in Go, but Walter is strongly against
> optional semicolons, as bearophile said. Me and others (like
> you) like optional semicolons, but since Walter doesn't and
> it's his language, that will not change.
>
> I personally understand much better the code without
> semicolons, like in Ruby and Python. And making a parser that
> way isn't that much difficult, and error recovery is as
> powerful.

Yes, I don't expect anyone to change their opinion though frankly
the anti-groups opinions feel more like attachment to the status
quo than something that's evidently and demonstrably superior.

It seems a pity that D is achieving such power and elegance in
some areas while failing to take on some of the syntactic beauty
that is within reach. The ultimate language would look something
like D crossed with Go in my eyes. It would be interesting if
someone were able to make a D subset that showed what it could
look like. There is significant value to being easy to read and
write, making the language naturally more appealing for users
just as speed makes applications much more attractive to users.