for loop parens

QAston qaston at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 21:42:57 PDT 2013

On Friday, 12 July 2013 at 20:46:21 UTC, ixid wrote:
> Yes, I don't expect anyone to change their opinion though
> frankly the anti-groups opinions feel more like attachment to
> the status quo than something that's evidently and demonstrably
> superior.
I think that Python has syntax evidently and demonstrably
superior to D. Why not Python?

> It seems a pity that D is achieving such power and elegance in
> some areas while failing to take on some of the syntactic
> beauty that is within reach. The ultimate language would look
> something like D crossed with Go in my eyes. It would be
> interesting if someone were able to make a D subset that showed
> what it could look like. There is significant value to being
> easy to read and write, making the language naturally more
> appealing for users just as speed makes applications much more
> attractive to users.

There won't be an ultimate language - ever. People haven't
settled up even on tabs vs spaces or braces issues yet.

Please keep in mind that every change made to the langage has
costs that have to be paid for the benefits. Sometimes costs are
not worth paying for the potential benefits. Status quo has this
wonderful feature - it has 0 cost, so the benefit/cost ratio
approaches infinity :).

Also, i don't know what's wrong with parens - 2 additional
keystrokes? I didn't see a for loop i a long time - ranges +
foreach are everywhere. And foreach is 4 chars more to type than
for :P.