for loop parens

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jul 12 21:56:03 PDT 2013

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 06:42:57 QAston wrote:
> On Friday, 12 July 2013 at 20:46:21 UTC, ixid wrote:
> > Yes, I don't expect anyone to change their opinion though
> > frankly the anti-groups opinions feel more like attachment to
> > the status quo than something that's evidently and demonstrably
> > superior.
>
> I think that Python has syntax evidently and demonstrably
> superior to D. Why not Python?

I think that that's very disputable. In general, which syntax is better than
another syntax is very subjective. Personally, I hate Python's syntax and find
it far harder to deal with than that of languages like C/C++ or D. The lack of
braces alone is a huge annoyance for editing code (being able to hop between
braces in an editor is invaluable for getting to the beginning and end of
functions, scopes, classes, etc.), and it's easy enough to find rants where
people have had bugs in their python code due to spacing issues and how it
cost them hours to find them.

Yes. Some people prefer python's syntax, but I don't see how anyone could
possibly claim that it was demonstratably superior. It's primarily a
subjective issue, and from what I've seen, the objective portions of the
argument are very much against python as having braces and semicolons and the
like makes the code more explicit and therefore less prone to scoping issues.
So while that tradeoff may very well be worth it for some people, it's
certainly not an objective advantage for python's syntax.

- Jonathan M Davis