Import all?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Jul 18 01:50:10 PDT 2013

On Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:10:13 JS wrote:
> using All instead of package as the name worked really well, I
> can easily chain imports and each module can import the root to
> import the whole library.

Yes. You can do that, though again I'd point out that using uppercase letters
in module and package names is generally frowned upon. That's just how public
import works, and plenty of folks have had all.d files in their projects for
years now. None of that requires a new version of dmd. The key thing about the
DIP (which _does_ require_ the git version of dmd) is that it allows you to
import the package as if it were a module. This will allow us to do things
like split up std.datetime or std.algorithm in place without breaking anyone's
code, as import std.datetime or import std.algorithm would continue to work as
they had as long as their package.d files publicly imported everything that had
been in those modules before.

I would expect that in the long term, package.d will supplant all.d
completely, but you're obviously free to use it all.d if you want to.

- Jonathan M Davis