Import all?

JS js.mdnq at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 02:38:41 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 18 July 2013 at 08:50:34 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Thursday, July 18, 2013 10:10:13 JS wrote:
>> using All instead of package as the name worked really well, I
>> can easily chain imports and each module can import the root to
>> import the whole library.
>
> Yes. You can do that, though again I'd point out that using
> uppercase letters
> in module and package names is generally frowned upon. That's
> just how public
> import works, and plenty of folks have had all.d files in their
> projects for
> years now. None of that requires a new version of dmd. The key
> thing about the
> DIP (which _does_ require_ the git version of dmd) is that it
> allows you to
> import the package as if it were a module. This will allow us
> to do things
> like split up std.datetime or std.algorithm in place without
> breaking anyone's
> code, as import std.datetime or import std.algorithm would
> continue to work as
> they had as long as their package.d files publicly imported
> everything that had
> been in those modules before.
>
> I would expect that in the long term, package.d will supplant
> all.d
> completely, but you're obviously free to use it all.d if you
> want to.

Yes, but it's obviously not useable at this point and when it
does it will be easy to switch over to.

AFAIK, the only issue with uppercase is case sensitivity, and as
long as d does not modify case then I'm not worried about it.
Just because something is frowned apon doesn't mean squat to me
unless there is a good reason. I'll prefer readability over
common useage.

Essentially all emulates the package.d, and I like it because
it's descriptive and easily maintainable... thats all I was after
in the first place. Too bad package doesn't work properly ;/