version(noboundscheck) + friends

Timothee Cour thelastmammoth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 00:38:17 PDT 2013

> given the overhead that it would introduce
Do you mean compiler-implementation overhead or resulting runtime overhead?

If you mean runtime overhead then I disagree, as this would be an opt-in
option enabled with, say, a version identifier such as
version=check_arithmetic_overflow (same as version=assert + friends); it
would not be implied by version=debug, so it wouldn't slow down normal
debug builds (as the slow down might be significant), but would save hours
of debugging to track down overflow bugs when the user requests it
explicitly.

I've described this precisely in my post:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/kn3f9v$25pd$1@digitalmars.com?page=2#post-mailman.161.1369525278.13711.digitalmars-d:40puremagic.com
but it received no answer.