version(noboundscheck) + friends

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Jun 4 01:13:03 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, June 04, 2013 00:57:09 Timothee Cour wrote:
> What are his arguments against an opt-in flag such as
> version=check_arithmetic_overflow ?

I'm sure that you can find his arguments in a number of threads that have
discussed integer overflow. And if you want to get the situation changed,
you're going to have to talk him into it. Discussing it with me isn't going to
help you any. He's against it primarily for performance reasons and doesn't
want to add it in non-release mode any more than he wants to add checks for
null pointers/references in non-release mode. He also dislikes having lots of
compiler flags, so it's generally very difficult to talk him into anything that
requires a new compiler flag.

And as I pointed out before, there are _zero_ cases where -version is used to
enable compiler-defined versions. If it were added as a new flag it would be
something like -checkoverflow and not as a version identifier. -version is only
for user-defined versions identifiers.

- Jonathan M Davis