What do you use to generate documentation?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Mar 13 10:49:56 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 08:47:03AM -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:59:52 Andrea Fontana wrote:
> > On Wednesday, 13 March 2013 at 10:11:51 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
> > > You can redefine the DDOC macro to use a stylesheet. Add your
> > > base ddoc file on the command line with redefined and
> > > additional macros.
> >
> > Is phobos doc based on some .ddoc file then? I see there's a
> > number of .ddoc file in github d-programming-language repository
> > but downloading them and adding to command line does nothing. Doc
> > appears still without style...
>
> What ddoc gives you out of the box works, but it _is_ a bit ugly as
> far as styling goes. To match what dlang.org has, you'd need to grab
> std.ddoc from the d-programming-language.org repo on github along with
> the css directory and images directories, and the css and images
> directories would need to be alongside the generated html. std.ddoc
> handles the various macros used by Phobos and sets up the styling, and
> then the generated html pages reference the css and image files (so
> without them, you don't get the full styling).
[...]

If you don't want the hassle of hosting the docs on a webserver with
separate css stylesheets, etc., you could try the simple macros I wrote
for generating nicer-looking ddocs:

	https://github.com/quickfur/Viola-ddoc-macros/blob/master/viola.ddoc

It does have some hooks for customization, but right now it's just a
very rough, but OK-looking drop-in replacement for the default ddoc
output.

Bomb technician: If I'm running, try to keep up.