D is totally useless

evilrat evilrat666 at gmail.com
Wed May 1 04:08:20 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 1 May 2013 at 08:42:40 UTC, Temtaime wrote:
> I'm new in D, so i'm tried to write some in that langugage.
> That's story about how i tried to port OGL sample, that renders
> one triangle.
>
> I was very surprised when i found, that D doesn't have
> equivalent of gl/gl.h. Any C++ compiler has it.
>
> Okay, i'm investigate in it and found OpenGL in deimos.
> It doesn't support a lot of OGL function such as glPushMatrix
> and others.
>
> Okay, then i found derelict3. It has a lot of OGl functions and
> it's okay.
> When i tried to rewrite example to D, i was shocked.
>
> core.sys.windows.windows doesn't have a lot of functions. It
> doesn't contain simple function DestroyWindow for example.
> It's intresting, but go ahead, i found derelict.util.wintypes
> with missing functions. I've got a lot of "conflicts with"
> errors, because some of functions was in derelict's wintypes
> too. I've solved it. When i tried to link my program, i've got
> a lot of "undefined reference" errors. Okay, i've built and
> link derelict libraries. Then errors became stranger:
> DerelictUtil.lib(traits)  Offset 204C4H Record Type 0091
>  Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _D67
> DMD\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos\std\traits.d.17012__ModuleInfoZ
>
> So i can't to rewrite simple OpenGL example that consists of 50
> lines.
> This example works on every C++ compiler without
> building/finding any libraries.
>
> Dlang's standard windows.h heade is useless, because a lot of
> functions/structs definitions is missing.
>
> Dlang is a toy in outer space.
> One can only to write a+b program in schools on it.
>
> Now i'm understand, that's why D doesn't have popularity after
> 10+ years of existence.

don't mix mainstream language popularity drawn with all that
tools and libraries over such "enthusiastic" language like D, for
me(and i believe for many others too) D is an instrument of
creation, like a brush in an artist hands. with such few tools
available for D you can still do almost anything much better and
faster than with any that tools available for C++. D has lots of
advantages, but sure it has some disadvantages, like you said
it's still "young", meaning that there is not so much support
available from community like for C++, there are not so much
commercial acceptance still like C++ has, that makes it so
"successful", not because it is so good...

well it is your opinion anyway, and no one is goind to ask you
keep using D, but personally i just hate when someone start whine
or complain about "how bad it is" just because of few fails. D
requires some time investment and strong will in order to make it
useful, if one don't have it, it will be a waste of time. i just
wish you good luck using C++ or whatever, and please don't blame
D because that is you don't want to bother to overcome any
difficulties, and if i'm wrong just be kind and ask people here
on forum before throwing crap on a language.

and finally concerning opengl - don't bother with deimos or other
stuff only if you are interested in creating your own low level
wrapper libs. get helper libs such like derelict3(!) and
glfw(it's too can be found in derelict) and you will be happy.

just give D a chance and it will pay you back.

p.s. that's not language is broken, but a linker/compiler and
other essentials tools(which aren't broken in fact).

p.p.s. sorry if i got you feel bad, and for being such boring
when writing all this stuff.