[OT] Generating ddili.org with ddoc (was: Re: How to iterate using foreach on a class?)

Philippe Sigaud philippe.sigaud at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 01:34:08 PDT 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 12:08 AM, Ali Çehreli <acehreli at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/2013 03:51 PM, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
>
> > What did you use to generate your website, btw?
>
> It is a completely static web site (except the Google translate widget)
> that is produced by ddoc and a couple of Makefiles.

This is something I'm looking for!

> The following is the Turkish readme file:
>
>   https://code.google.com/p/**ddili/source/browse/trunk/**BENIOKU<https://code.google.com/p/ddili/source/browse/trunk/BENIOKU>
>
> The tools required for the site are just dmd and GNU make. The free pdf
> generator prince is used for the pdf versions of the books.
>
> I just do
>
>   make test
>
> to produce the light-weight versions of the pages during development and
>
>   make
>
> to produce a single tar file to upload to the provider.

OK, that seems quite similar to what I want. Any limitation you hit with
Ddoc?

Where can I get a view of the internal .ddoc file you used for the macro
definitions? I found the source docs for your book text, but not the one
containing definitions.

I'm planning to write a new text on D, and though I'm enamoured of
Markdown, I'm willing to give Ddoc a chance, since Andrei pushes its usage.

I see three limitations:

- almost no one knows Ddoc. Markdown is simple and used by the entire
planet.
- no possibility to inject equations with Ddoc?
- no possibility to put images? (I may be wrong on this one).

The equation requirement might seem strange, but I'd like to write a
ray-tracing tutorial in D, and ray-tracing 'theory' uses a lot of maths.
Many markdown parser know LaTeX or MathML. Mayby with MathML and invoking
HTML code inside Ddoc?

 Oh, and if you could find the time to translate the turkish page, that
would be great!