Starting D with a project in mind.

Andrew andrew at nowhere.com
Thu Oct 10 12:49:13 PDT 2013

Hi All,

I've been writing a MUD for a little while, initially using
Haskell but now using C. I develop on MacOS X but deploy to a
Raspberry Pi. I loved using Haskell especially using the Parsec
parser but unfortunately I couldn't build on the Pi because the
resource requirements were just too heavy.

Now I develop in C and the same Makefile builds on Mac and Debian
equally well and of course I can use the lovely Xcode
environment. However, as I start to add more advanced features
it's getting rather tedious. The MUD has an embedded web server
which supports web sockets for real time play and the back end is
a Mongo DB. The C code to access DB is very repetitive and is
slowing me down because of the lack of higher level constructs.
Similarly the parser is very basic and ropey which needs
attention.

Hence my interest in D. I've spent a few hours trying to get GDC
working on my Pi which is proving to be a bitch but I'm hoping
that it will be worth it.

Before I get too far down this path, would you recommend D for
this task and will porting from Mac to Pi be seamless ?

Thanks

Andrew