Starting D with a project in mind.

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 12:55:13 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 10 October 2013 at 19:49:15 UTC, Andrew wrote:
> Hence my interest in D. I've spent a few hours trying to get
> GDC working on my Pi which is proving to be a bitch but I'm
> hoping that it will be worth it.

I haven't done a serious program on the Pi, but I was able to get
gdc and some test programs to compile and run successfully for
it. Took me a couple hours too, the way I did it was with a
crosstool-ng thingy:
http://gdcproject.org/wiki/Cross%20Compiler/crosstool-NG

so I can compile it on my Linux desktop for the pi. I did hit one
druntime bug in the process, but I believe it has already been
fixed so you hopefully won't have to deal with that.

The biggest problem I had was at first I didn't use the gnu-eabi
option. I think that was in compiling druntime, not sure though,
my memory is failing as this was several months ago when I played
with it.

Bottom line though is I know it is possible, but I don't know how
seamless it will be with a larger program.