Starting D with a project in mind.

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Oct 15 07:56:05 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 15 October 2013 at 14:38:32 UTC, Andrew wrote:
> I think it's the latest version of GDC :-
>
> https://github.com/jpf91/GDC/tree/arm
>
> which apparently supports 2.062.

Ugh, don't know about ARM build but GDC itself currently supports
2.063.2 version for both 4.8 and 4.9 branch.

> In the D community, is there not the concept of stable releases
> that all tools and libraries support or is it a free for all
> i.e. nothing works together ? Can I get an earlier version of
> vibe.d that is compatible with GDC ?

Generally, only latest DMD release + latest library release are
guaranteed to work. It is a big and complicated problem to get
this right.

First, all 3 major compilers have incompatible ABI so they need
whole own library stack built starting with druntime / phobos.

Second, bigger cross-platform programs like vibe.d have lot of
version definitions that change behavior considerably (for
example, various event drivers for vibe.d), on top of usual OS /
processor versioning.

Combined together that creates an exponential configuration count
that is almost impossible to test manually. Sonke (vibe.d author)
has recently recognized what a disaster this creates and right
now adding Continuous Integration testing is high priority target
- but this is still work-in-progress.

As a result, with every small step from configuration common
among library/program developers (usually it is latest DMD +
x64_86 + Linux/Windows) probability of something breaking bad is
damn high.

Actually, I don't know if vibe.d has ever been tested with GDC at
all.

> Is this something I can update easily ?

If rebuilding GDC from sources so that it will catch 2.063.2
frontend version is an option - it may help.