Starting D with a project in mind.

Andrew andrew at nowhere.com
Tue Oct 15 15:28:58 PDT 2013

> Aha, oops, I have the same 2060L, but that is presumably
> because I forgot to 'git checkout arm', and the master branch
> on Johannes' fork is not up-to-date. The reason why this works
> while normal GDC doesn't is that this is so old it doesn't
> include some explicit architecture static ifs that were added
> later (and for which ARM was not available for some time).
>
> I'm going to let this stuff rebuild overnight...

My build, from GDC master, went really well until it got to
libphobos and then there were many architecture specific bits of
code that just didn't include any ARM directives so it's probably
currently impossible to build the latest libphobos on ARM.  I
tried comparing the ARM fork but it was massively different and
it looks like libphobos has been mostly rewritten since then.

I don't really understand why there are so many .d files that
just seem to wrap standard os stuff - why not just use the
standard installed C headers and avoid all of this overhead that
needs maintaining ?

Interestingly the gcc Go compiler that is also included with gcc
4.8 built and installed first time so I'm rather tempted to just
to give up with D as this point after a valiant battle for the
last few days.