Starting D with a project in mind.

Stefan Frijters sfrijters at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 04:59:46 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 16 October 2013 at 09:11:16 UTC, Andrew wrote:

>> As far as I know deimos is a set of official (?) bindings for
>> common C libraries. I don't know dub's build process but I
>> assume that if the build script would have worked for you it
>> would have attempted to clone this repo
>> https://github.com/D-Programming-Deimos/openssl (you can find
>> more bindings if you go up one level). My gdc build hadn't
>> finished yet when I had to leave for work this morning, but
>> I'll try to build dub tonight, to see if I run into the same
>> problems...
>
> I've been using a Cubieboard A20, it's much better than a RPi
> as it has 1GB RAM, dual core armv7 and much better IO including
> on-board SATA for $50. The gcc /gdc build takes around 2 - 3
> hours on that. You'll probably run into the same libphobos
> issues that I had, since there are many places where there are
> no ARM headers.

Ok, I logged onto my Pi during lunch break, and actually the
compilation process went fine, and pragma(msg, __VERSION__); now
correctly has 2063L as output. So in my recent experience:

- GDC master branch doesn't compile properly, because it's
missing the ARM-specific code.
- GDC-jp91 master branch compiles, but is based on 2.060 and is
too old to be useful.
- GDC-jp91 arm branch seems to work, although Johannes has warned
that there is some codegen bug when compiling with -O2.

This is all now a bit confusing, but I expect GDC master branch
to compile again for ARM when either frontend version 2.064 is
released and merged into GDC (in a few weeks hopefully?), or
Johannes' arm fork is merged into GDC (whenever he has time to
find and fix his codegen bug). Then everything would be
(relatively) easy again...

Looking into dub / vibe.d is out of my lunch scope :-P