D / GtkD for SQL Server

John Joyus john.joyus at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 22:14:49 PDT 2013

On 10/20/2013 02:15 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 20 October 2013 at 17:24:30 UTC, John Joyus wrote:
>> Regarding the GUI part, all I really need is a form and a bunch of
>> buttons. Can I do that through pure Windows API in D to create a small
>> stand-alone executable that does everything by itself?
>
> yup. I started a thing to do it, but haven't finished it yet
>
> https://github.com/adamdruppe/misc-stuff-including-D-programming-language-web-stuff
>

> Grab the files simpledisplay.d, color,d and minigui.d. Lots of stuff
> doesn't work, and the stuff that does work is still subject to change...
> but if all ou need are the basics, it might be good enough as it is.
>
> Then compile:
>
> dmd yourapp.d simpledisplay.d color.d minigui.d
>
> and it should just work. If you avoid phobos throughout your code, you
> can get stand-alone executables about 230 KB in size. With phobos,
> you'll probably add 200-700 KB, depending on how much you use.
>
> Add " -L/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS:5.0" (no quotes) to the command line if you
> don't want a console window to pop up. If you use a resource and xml
> manifest, this supports visual theme styles on XP+ too. (search MSDN if
> you want to learn more)
>
> (btw there's also database.d and mssql.d in there that might interest
> you. mssql.d uses ODBC, but the truth is I've never actually tested it,
> so I don't know if it even compiles.)

This is cool! I am able to compile your example. It creates a small 225
KB executable!

Btw, I had to comment out the lines that contain TextLabel and the
.content in the example code as it fails to compile with following errors:
- undefiend identifier TextLabel
- no property 'content' for type 'arsd.minigui.LineEdit'

I have not tried the database.d and mssql.d files yet.

Thanks.