D on Windows - linker question

Erik van Velzen erik at evanv.nl
Mon Oct 21 18:07:46 PDT 2013

On Monday, 21 October 2013 at 04:38:05 UTC, evilrat wrote:

> i'm currently trying to get up
> DirectX(d3d10(x),d3d11(x),xaudio2,x3daudio,d3dmath) up and
> running in free time, but i constantly encounter serious
> problems on my way. now i have some weird problems with COM(no
> COM - no DirectX).
>
> so i don't recommend anyone even try it(DirectX) now, unless
> one is truly skilled with C++

Thanks for your advice, I suspected as much.

I will hack some more and see if I'm progressing or learning
anything. And decide in a few days if I continue with D3D in D,
or stick to C++. I do have experience in C++, though with server
apps on Linux without native GUIs.

> p.s. for working win32 with dmd 2.063.2 go there(don't forget
> to convert .lib's to OMF, use coffimplib from digitalmars ftp)
> -
> https://github.com/AndrejMitrovic/DWinProgramming/tree/master/WindowsAPI

I'm using COFF with the visual studio linker, so I don't need to
convert.

I do get a few compiler errors with DMD in these win32.* modules
about incorrect typecasts. I will make a new topic if these
persist or file a bug report with the author.