BitArray/BitFields - Review

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 6 18:50:06 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 01:10:06AM +0000, Era Scarecrow via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> (Moved from: What have I missed?)
>
>  If this is the wrong place to ask these questions I apologize,
>  getting back into this takes some work.

Since this is about contributing to Phobos, probably a better place to
ask is on the main D forum.

>  So I guess I need to ask: Should I try to resume work on the BitManip
>  library? (So far it seems none of my code has been integrated to
>  phobos)

Do you have a pull request? Which one is it?

>  Assuming I do, should I try to fix lots of small bugs and make
>  smaller pulls or should I try to do several at once? When I re-wrote
>  the BitArray I personally think it is an overall improvement in many
>  ways, and being a complete re-write you can't just do bug #xxxx and
>  then bug #xxxx and then bug... etc etc.
>
>  Also to ask, how many people tried out the rewrite I proposed, and do
>  they think it was actually an improvement for ease of use, speed,
>  fewer bugs/issues, etc?

There have been a few fixes to std.bitmanip recently, including a
current PR for adding attributes to some of the functions. Are these
your PRs, or are you proposing something totally new? If it's something
totally new, where can we get the code?

"Maybe" is a strange word.  When mom or dad says it it means "yes", but when my big brothers say it it means "no"! -- PJ jr.