Are there desktop appications being developed in D currently?

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 10 11:40:22 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 10 August 2014 at 14:28:33 UTC, Puming wrote:
> What do you mean by 'boring'? I think a shell in D would be
> awesome.

tbh I think shells are a bit boring too, but like you said in the
other message, they are two different things.

But a terminal emulator isn't much of a gui because all it
displays is text (and mine actually can display pictures too) -
no buttons, text areas, checkboxes, etc. like typically comes to
mind when you think of a desktop gui app.

I've been slowly writing a miniature gui widget library too, with
the goal of zero dependencies and < 300kb compiled executables...
but I just haven't had the time. Whenever I need a quick gui for
a personal project I've actually been outputting html or
something and reading the response with my cgi.d. html forms
cover like 95% of my use cases.

> 5. MVC style input/output. The out put of commands can be
> formated with a template (with color and indentations, even
> markdown support). traditional shell outputs are a mess.

I like what Windows Powershell does - it talks in objects which
can be formatted to string or passed to other commands that
understand them.

For a while, I was toying with doing that in D too. I don't
remember where I put the file (a super-simplified version is in
my book somewhere though)... but the shell commands were actually
just D functions that return strongly typed stuff. When composing
them, it calls the function directly and communicating with
external commands  it does some simple toString serialization and
deserialization so that works too.

But I haven't finished it in great part because I find regular
old bash to work well enough for me.

> 7. autocomplete and auto style. write colorful code in the
> repl. Vi/emacs support of inline editing is also a plus.

gnu readline which bash uses allows the editing and autocomplete
which is cool.