beginner's pyd question - exporting structs to python

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 18 10:22:16 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 16:39 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Brief introduction, and a beginner's question.
>
> I just started playing with D a couple of weeks ago.  I have been
> programming in C on and off since the late 80s, but I do finance
> for a living and my programming skills grew rusty.  I have a bit
> more time now to catch up with developments, and D looks a very
> intriguing robust alternative to C when python won't cut the
> mustard.

All the cool folk doing data analysis and visualization using Python no
longer bother with hand written C (*) for when pure Python won't cut the
mustard.  If Numba can't do the job, then Cython gets used.

I have all my computational pure Python source codes running as fast as
C these days thanks to Numba. (And judicious profiling.)

I would say that Python folk will now only be looking to C, C++,
Fortran, D, for pre-written libraries in those language. Given all the
codes are written in C, C++ or Fortran with none in D…

On the other hand PyD does work for me, but I only pass primitive types,
not C structs.

(*) Nor C++, nor D.
--
Russel.