beginner's pyd question - exporting structs to python

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 18 11:59:31 PDT 2014

> All the cool folk doing data analysis and visualization using
> Python no longer bother with hand written C (*) for when pure
> Python won't cut the mustard.  If Numba can't do the job, then
> Cython gets used.
>
> I have all my computational pure Python source codes running as
> fast as C these days thanks to Numba. (And judicious profiling.)
>
> I would say that Python folk will now only be looking to C, C++,
> Fortran, D, for pre-written libraries in those language. Given
> all the codes are written in C, C++ or Fortran with none in D…

Thanks for the colour - I appreciate it.  I have played with
numba and pypy with numpy and it seems a powerful tool for some
kinds of jobs.  Perhaps it is my relative unfamiliarity with
python, but for the time being I feel more comfortable with C
type languages for other kinds of work.  As a pragmatic idealist,
one may as well use whatever tool seems to be pretty good
generally and which one feels confident in wielding to accomplish
the task at hand.

Out of curiosity, what do you use D for given your views about
the redundancy of C type languages for non-system programming?

"Should use print as a function not as a statement. Use Python 3,
or if
you have to use Python 2 (which almost no-one does):

from __future__ import print_function

as the first statement."

Thank you.