beginner's pyd question - exporting structs to python

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 18 23:03:09 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-19 at 00:53 +0000, bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
[…]
> I'm not sure which computational work he is referring to, but for
> statistical analysis, R dominates by a wide margin (although
> statistical analysis done in Silicon Valley, the type you read
> about on Hacker News, is often done using Python).

My own :-)

I think Python is not making inroads in the world-wide R community, but
it is in the Matlab and Mathematica ones. Whether Julia acts as a
disruptive technology here we will see.

> I write functions in D, compile as a shared library, and call
> from R. The more statically typed code I write, the more I like
> it. I'm finishing up a blog post describing my usage.

This model also works for Python and D and does not require PyD (*). The
issue here is that D, like C++, can provide shared objects (aka DLLs)
with C linkage entry points and so Python extensions can be created.

(*) Though arguably it is easier using PyD.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk