Produce some COFF object with 2.066 ?

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 20 17:15:15 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 20 August 2014 at 23:56:23 UTC, Baz wrote:
> Hello, I've been very interested about the announce saying that
> DMD is able to produce COFF object files. Mostly because I'm
> thinking using some objects programmed in D in a software
> programmed in another lang, a bit like when statically linking
> a dll to a program but with an obj, to keep a nice monolithic
> executable.
>
> First thing: I've tried a simple thing: compile an exported
> function with the args "myfile.d -c -ms32mscoff" and dmd
> complains that "-ms32mscoff" is not a recognized switch.

32-bit COFF is only in git master currently. It'll be in 2.067
when that comes out. 64-bit COFF has been in dmd for quite some
time now. You just have to have a copy of Visual Studio installed
(the free Express edition should be fine) and compile with -m64.

> Second thing:
> If I understand well, it means that previously, to link D a
> object with a soft programmed in another lang was not possible
> because the OMF objs don't include everything (e.g the objs
> coming from other imported static libs) and that now it's
> faisable ?  right ?

They'd just have to both be OMF format if you wanted to
statically link. If you had a DLL you could create an import
library from the DLL and still link that just fine. Walter has a
tool on Digital Mars to do it.  Now you should be able to
directly link to COFF libraries.