Learning D

HeiHon via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 26 09:39:55 PDT 2014

On Monday, 25 August 2014 at 16:46:11 UTC, Ryan wrote:
> What IDE should I use? I'm not big fan of Eclipse, although if
> I had to use it this wouldn't be a dealbreaker.  Give me
> something easy and lightweight, unless you've got a GUI builder
> (this is why I started with MonoDevelop, though this isn't
> working so well for me).

If you can do without all bells and whistles of a fullblown IDE,
you can try geany. I really like it and do all my D (and
python/shell/perl) work with geany.

http://www.geany.org/

You just install dmd (or gdc or ldc) and add it to your PATH.
You download and install geany.
You configure the build/compile settings for geany eg:
rdmd --build-only --force -debug "%f"

And there you go.

Geany is available for Windows and Linux.