GC for noobs

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Feb 27 06:37:10 PST 2014

On Thursday, 27 February 2014 at 14:29:05 UTC, Szymon Gatner
wrote:
> Explicit call to init() / terminate() are so C :/

It is much better than C because of `scope(exit) terminate()`
though :)
Also you can use struct destructors same as in C++

> Worst part is there is no even standard shared/weak pointer
> provided.

There is http://dlang.org/phobos/std_typecons.html#.RefCounted
which helps in some cases.

> I must say I am kindof disappointed by all this. I realize that
> it is not D's fault but still, it is suppose to be "better
> C++", and while I do see that wrt to templates / TMP, my
> favourite feature of C++ are d-tors...

It is not supposed to be "better C++", not anymore at least.
Something that dissapoints lot of people and there has been a lot
of pushing in this direction lately but historically this domain
was under-developed.