Pure

John Carter john.carter at taitradio.com
Wed Jan 8 12:20:52 PST 2014

> > Very well written, a pleasure to read.

> And very hard to translate! :)

Leaping off the immediate topic of computer language D into the realm
of human languages English and Turkish...

With the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis in the back of my mind...

What makes it harder to translate?

Is there a human language in which these concepts would be more easily
discussed?

I was always fascinated by early translations (1980 and before era) of
Japanese machine manuals... It was tempting to find the
mistranslations funny, until I realised...

* You could never remember the words. Your memory is fundamentally
governed by the language you speak. Thus when you try remember (and
relate to a colleague) a subtly garbled chunk of that language, your
brain autocorrects it and refuses to reproduce the mistakes!

* The differences indicated curious and subtle differences in thought
processes of the original authors and translators. Not better or worse
processes. Different. Interesting. Subtle.

* The categories of mistakes made by, say German German to English
translators, were very different.

So I have always been fascinated by Sapir-Whorf, but it seems to be
very subtle and nuanced and unexpected in practical effect.

--
John Carter
Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639

--

------------------------------
This email, including any attachments, is only for the intended recipient.
It is subject to copyright, is confidential and may be the subject of legal
or other privilege, none of which is waived or lost by reason of this
transmission.
If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disseminate,
distribute or reproduce such email, any attachments, or any part thereof.
If you have received a message in error, please notify the sender
immediately and erase all copies of the message and any attachments.
Unfortunately, we cannot warrant that the email has not been altered or
corrupted during transmission nor can we guarantee that any email or any
attachments are free from computer viruses or other conditions which may
damage or interfere with recipient data, hardware or software. The
recipient relies upon its own procedures and assumes all risk of use and of
opening any attachments.