Working on a library: request for code review

Rene Zwanenburg via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 12 11:09:08 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 12 June 2014 at 15:46:12 UTC, Mike wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 June 2014 at 00:20:28 UTC, cal wrote:
>> Might it be worth stitching things together into a proper
>> image processing package?
>
> Well I started working on TGA because I was disappointed that
> no image abstraction is present in Phobos. Go has some imaging
> APIs and I think D would benefit from having one too (out of
> the box).
>
> Would I work on std.image? Sure.
>
> Best,
> Mike

I'm looking over your code ATM but I'd like to reply to this
first.

IMO it's not a good idea to create something like std.image. The
std lib should ideally never have breaking changes, so it's easy
to get stuck with a sub optimal API or become increasingly hard
to maintain.

We have Dub. Better keep the std lib lean and maintainable. If
you're looking to create an awesome idiomatic D image library
you're probably better of building it on top of derelict-devil or
derelict-freeimage, then publish it on code.dlang.org

The discoverability of good code.dlang.org projects is still
limited. Some kind of rating or like system would be useful, but
that's another discussion.