Working on a library: request for code review

Xavier Bigand via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 12 11:35:39 PDT 2014

Le 12/06/2014 20:09, Rene Zwanenburg a écrit :
> On Thursday, 12 June 2014 at 15:46:12 UTC, Mike wrote:
>> On Thursday, 12 June 2014 at 00:20:28 UTC, cal wrote:
>>> Might it be worth stitching things together into a proper image
>>> processing package?
>>
>> Well I started working on TGA because I was disappointed that no image
>> abstraction is present in Phobos. Go has some imaging APIs and I think
>> D would benefit from having one too (out of the box).
>>
>> Would I work on std.image? Sure.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mike
>
> I'm looking over your code ATM but I'd like to reply to this first.
>
> IMO it's not a good idea to create something like std.image. The std lib
> should ideally never have breaking changes, so it's easy to get stuck
> with a sub optimal API or become increasingly hard to maintain.
>
> We have Dub. Better keep the std lib lean and maintainable. If you're
> looking to create an awesome idiomatic D image library you're probably
> better of building it on top of derelict-devil or derelict-freeimage,
> then publish it on code.dlang.org
>
> The discoverability of good code.dlang.org projects is still limited.
> Some kind of rating or like system would be useful, but that's another
> discussion.

I think it can be a great advantage to have some things like image
management in phobos, cause often dub projects are big and users don't
want necessary a complete multimedia library but just small pieces that
are standard.
For example a GUI library, will allow image manipulations, but not only,
and extracting only the image modules can be hard. That the case of our
DQuick project.

For a project like DQuick, I would be happy to find things like images,
geometric algebra,environment analysis,... in phobos. This will allow
use to be focused on other things making an UI framework (Windows,
events, rendering, resource management,...).

Having such minimalistic APIs would be a great benefit IMO, maybe in
this case some extending libraries would appear in dub.