Installing D on OSX using .dmg

Joel joelcnz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 00:05:12 PDT 2014

On Monday, 17 March 2014 at 13:09:29 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 23:10 +0000, Joel wrote:
>> Thanks Russel!
>>
>> I've gotten past the security problem!
>>
>> There's options under Security & Privacy (and what can be
>> downloaded):
>>
>> O-MacApp Store
>> O-idetinified developers
>> @-Anywhere.
>>
>> Though this (Anywhere) lowers the security of what to download.
>
> The advice I was given and think is good is to keep this at
> Identified
> developers normally, and only set to Anywhere for special cases.
>
> D should not be a special case, but it is :-(
>
>> I've been Recommended this OS. I can use Windows 7 as native
>> too.
>
> I wouldn't go anywhere near Windows of any sort. Linux is my
> choice, but
> OSX is not bad.
>
>> Mengu, I don't know Homebrew.
>
> MacPorts and Homebrew are competing package management systems
> for OSX.
> Many use MacPorts others use Homebrew. From what I can tell
> both are
> better than not having a package system (as per OSX out of the
> box) but
> both have pros and cons so it is not that one is better than
> the other
> overall.
>
> I get D from MacPorts rather than using the DMG.

I've changed the Anywhere setting to a more protected one. I'm
guessing I can have Anywhere then install latest DMD, but put it
back to what it was.

I haven't figured out package managers. I used them a bit in
Ubuntu and they seemed to easily brake the system. :-\

I didn't see the new post here, that's why I've taken so long to
reply.