Programming a Game in D? :D

Francesco via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu May 29 23:16:07 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 22:34:46 UTC, David wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 21:38:07 UTC, Francesco Cattoglio
> wrote:
>>
>> I'll be honest, perhaps I risk being misunderstood, but the
>> questions you are asking denote a lack of even basic knowledge
>> about the subject, so I really think you should do some good
>> amount of research before even trying to write something on
>> your own.
>>

> Well, I really don't have a lot of knowledge but I don't know
> where to start.
> The Problem is just that there is sooo much stuff in the
> internet and it's kinda hard to get some knowledge.
I know what you mean, but don't despair! When you have no idea,
start by looking for books and especially manuals. They did
wonders in the past for me.

>> Have you tried at least some free tools that allow you to
>> script stuff and have simple stuff displayed on screen? I'm
>> talking about stuff like Construct 2, GameMaker, RPGMaker,
>> zGameEditor... even map editors like the ones from Blizzard
>> (WarCraft 3 : TFT or StarCraft 2)?
>
> So, i made a very little game with delphi Genesis3D and an
> Editor i don't remember about 2 years ago, but i don't know if
> i really knew what i was doing there :P
This is really good, but I think you will need a little more than
this to get properly started. I'm not saying "don't use D".
Actually, I'd say DO use D, just don't use it right now. Choose
something you want to create (might be a pacman clone, a 2D
pinball, a short RPG demo, a roguelike, etc), google something
along the lines of "game development tool" and find some tool
that is simple and fits you need. Work with the tool for some
time (2-3 months) and then start learning the programing behind
what you created and re-write your small project in D. This
should help you greatly because you will have much more clear
(and reachable) objectives.