Audio file read/write?

Daren Scot Wilson via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Nov 6 18:58:12 PST 2014

What's the current recommended way to read and write audio files?

I don't need to play it on the speakers or deal with anything
real time - just read a file's data into an array, fiddle with
it, and write it out to a file.

I found some other threads about audio files, but none recent,
mentioning SDL and OpenAL.  Are these still the way to go?    I'm
thinking I should avoid SDL since it does far more than audio,
none of which I care about.  OpenAL also does way more than I
care about, but at least is just audio.

For my application, I need to read a few of the common formats,
such as .wav, .au, .mp3, .ogg and whatever else is popular.  I
only need to write .wav but other audio tinkerers may want to
write other formats.