Instructions for compilation from multiple source files

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 10 13:49:51 PST 2014

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:27:20 +0000
Solomon E via Digitalmars-d-learn <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> (There is a dlang page http://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/Using_GDC that
> gives some instructions, including how to compile hello world and
> how to get a .o file, but strangely to me doesn't include any
> examples or abstracted formulas of how to use more input files or
> any mention of .a files.)
>
> So I guess the answer is, no, there isn't any documentation or
> specification that covers it, and not even any official
> instructions or beginner's guide that covers it. I wish people
> would just be honest and up front about saying, no, sorry, we
> don't have that; instead of people always seeming to want to put
> down people who ask questions about the essentials.
you've been told several times that gdc is a part of GCC suite. there
are extensive documentation and howtos for GCC. you are expected to read
and understand that. there is nothing special in gdc which renders GCC
documentation unusable for it. yet you keep ignoring that and insisting
that GCC documentation should be duplicated for gdc. GCC is "GNU
Complier Collection", thus it means that GCC compilers have similar
interfaces. you can also read about ABI in GCC documentation to
discover the extents to which object files from one language are
compatible with object files from another language. you are also
expected to read binutils documentation to learn what .a files for, how
they are created and used. there is no point to duplicate this
information for each part of the suite.

if you are insisting on using command-line tools, you are expected to
be expirienced enough. and if you don't want to learn how to use them,
you are free to use some IDE, which will do most of the dirty work for
you.

so the answer is no, there aren't any copies of GCC and binutils
documentation in gdc. they aren't required.