Instructions for compilation from multiple source files

Solomon E via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 10 15:52:45 PST 2014

ketmar, I understand that GDC documentation can be as terse as it
wants to be, especially in the man page, which is supposed to be
the shortest, for quick command line reference. It still seems a
little odd to me that there wouldn't be additional instructions
somewhere in the introductory pages to D on the D Wiki or
somewhere else conveniently linked, on compiling multiple input
files that are applicable to GDC or to all three compilers,
rather than just specific to DMD on Windows.

There's a joke in mathematics that sometimes a hard, unsolved
problem is passed over in a paper with the words "the rest is
left as an exercise for the reader."

Leaving the subtleties of multiple file GDC usage as an exercise,
whatever those may be for D, if any, is certainly better than
omitting language documentation or development or bugfixes, and
also better than not having multiple compilers to choose from. So
on reflection, I agree with leaving multiple file command line
GDC usage as an exercise for anyone who wants to do it, in order
to conserve limited development resources for improving more
important things about D.

So I'm sorry about all the fuss. I would delete the thread if I
could. I understand that you're implying multiple file
compilation should go smoothly the same for D as it does for any
other GCC supported language, without any particular difficulties
for D that you've seen about it, and I hope it goes smoothly for
me as well.