Russian translation of the "range" term?

Ivan Kazmenko via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 11 03:50:16 PST 2014

Hi!

I'm unsure what is the Russian equivalent for the term "range",
as in "D range", the generalization of a pair of iterators.  With
"range" being such an overloaded term in source language and
having no exact equivalent in the target language, its Russian
translations I have come up with don't sound quite right.

Is there an "official" translation already?  In TDPL, the (very
few) occurrences of "range" are translated as "диапазон"
(Cyrillic for "diapason"), how official is that?  In Russian, the
term "diapason" in computerspeak is used to refer to a range of
possible values, as in "the range (diapason) for an ubyte
variable is from 0 to 255".  Also, it has four syllables, making
it long-ish to pronounce.

The original article "On Iteration"[0] suggests that the name
"iterator" would also fit if it was not so heavily used, but in
Russian, we also have that loan word with the same meaning and
usage already.

I guess synonyms or translations into other languages with some
interlingual explanations could also help.

Ivan Kazmenko.

[0] http://www.informit.com/articles/printerfriendly/1407357