Russian translation of the "range" term?

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 11 08:10:12 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 at 16:00:56 UTC, Ivan Kazmenko wrote:
> The suggested translations "диапазон" (diapason), "список"
> (list), "последовательность" (sequence), "набор" (collection)
> all have something in common with the range concept, but all of
> them seem to have a defined meaning in either maths or computer
> science.  Maybe it's inevitable, just like "range" is itself an
> overloaded term in English.

Yes, this is pretty much the case. One can't find translation for
a range that won't have any additional connotations because
"range" is itself heavily overloaded word in English.

In my opinion:

"диапазон" is ok to describe a finite forward range
"последовательность" is solid generic term if you are not afraid
of making mathematicians mad

I don't like "список" or "набор" because they don't necessarily
imply iteration which is the most crucial aspect of range concept.

In practice I think it is OK to use any of those terms if you use
it consistently within a book / article and explain its meaning
somewhere in the very beginning.