Russian translation of the "range" term?

Ivan Kazmenko via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 11 08:00:53 PST 2014

>>> I was thinking about list comprehension, which is what
>>> programming on ranges is. Isn't it?
>> "list" is a good term, but it's already taken. so naming
>> "range" as
>> "list" will create unnecessary confusion. alas. yet "набор" is
>> short
>> and easy, and it's not widely used, as "set" is translated as
>> "множество".
>>
>> but it's for OP to decide, of course.
>
> What does "набор" mean literally? What is it?

As I see it, "набор" can informally be translated as
"collection", most frequently unordered and allowing duplicates.
I often see and use it as a human-readable translation of the
term "multiset" in texts which are not too formal (the exact
translation "мультимножество" is way too long and scientific).

The suggested translations "диапазон" (diapason), "список"
(list), "последовательность" (sequence), "набор" (collection) all
have something in common with the range concept, but all of them
seem to have a defined meaning in either maths or computer
science.  Maybe it's inevitable, just like "range" is itself an
overloaded term in English.

Ivan Kazmenko.