Uninitialized object hangs without warning.

Bear Cherian via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 25 21:24:47 PST 2014

I ran into this a while ago and have already moved on, but I had
a class such as this

Class MyClass{

     this(){}

     void someFunction(){
         //body

And in my app I had something like

     MyClass classObject;
     classObject.someFunction();

When I compile, no warnings or errors. But when I run the
application it just hangs at the function call. Eventually the
app kills itself.

The problem is classObject is never initialized. This drove me
crazy for an entire evening before I added a bunch of debug lines
to narrow it down and then visually saw what the problem was.

I feel there should be some type of warning or error when
compiling, or an error when we get to classObject.someFunction().

This is on 2.065, so forgive me if this has already been
addressed. Again, it's been a while since I actually encountered
the error, so not sure if i missed an aspect of it.