Uninitialized object hangs without warning.

Meta via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 25 21:58:46 PST 2014

On Wednesday, 26 November 2014 at 05:24:49 UTC, Bear Cherian
wrote:
> I ran into this a while ago and have already moved on, but I
> had a class such as this
>
> Class MyClass{
>
>     this(){}
>
>     void someFunction(){
>         //body
>     }
>
> }
>
> And in my app I had something like
>
>     MyClass classObject;
>     classObject.someFunction();
>
> When I compile, no warnings or errors. But when I run the
> application it just hangs at the function call. Eventually the
> app kills itself.
>
> The problem is classObject is never initialized. This drove me
> crazy for an entire evening before I added a bunch of debug
> lines to narrow it down and then visually saw what the problem
> was.
>
> I feel there should be some type of warning or error when
> compiling, or an error when we get to
> classObject.someFunction().
>
> This is on 2.065, so forgive me if this has already been
> addressed. Again, it's been a while since I actually
> encountered the error, so not sure if i missed an aspect of it.

This *does* cause an error on 2.065:
http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/0d6663890081

Or did you mistakenly type "Class" instead of "class"? In the
above code, when you replace "Class" with "class", it runs and
then segfaults. Either way, there is no hang.

Where did you install the compiler from? This is definitely a
problem on your end.