Beginner ?. Why does D suggest to learn java

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 17 13:40:37 PDT 2014

On Friday, 17 October 2014 at 13:59:03 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> that's why i'm sure that basic programming must be teached in
> school.
> hey, the whole our civilization will collapse without computers!
> computer programming is the literacy of the new age.

This is nonsense and I see it repeated all the time, with
code.org and other efforts.  Do you know how to fix your car,
washing machine, or refrigerator?  No, yet your life would likely
collapse far faster without those.  You hire somebody to do the
job if any of those mechanical systems breaks.  Similarly, most
people hire programmers to do the software work they don't want
to do.

I will agree that basic computer literacy is important, ie people
should know their way around a computer or tablet, how to open
and turn off apps, mouse or touch your way around the UI, etc.
But beyond that it's a matter of interest: some people like
Walter want to work on their car or computer, but most people
don't.

On Friday, 17 October 2014 at 14:00:43 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> yet Scheme will teach how to write functional code. it's a
> valuable
> knowledge for D programmer.

My first programming language was Scheme in my freshman year of
college (I wasn't one of those kids programming since middle
school).  Scheme was fine for the time, though the scads of
parentheses were annoying, but I think we can do better decades
later.  D would work fine if it's presented at a level
appropriate to a beginner, ie not assuming they know anything
about programming to begin with.