Beginner ?. Why does D suggest to learn java

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 17 14:20:18 PDT 2014

On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:40:37 +0000
Joakim via Digitalmars-d-learn <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, 17 October 2014 at 13:59:03 UTC, ketmar via
> Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> > that's why i'm sure that basic programming must be teached in
> > school.
> > hey, the whole our civilization will collapse without computers!
> > computer programming is the literacy of the new age.
>
> This is nonsense and I see it repeated all the time, with
> code.org and other efforts.  Do you know how to fix your car,
> washing machine, or refrigerator?
i have no car, i know how to fix my wahing machine, i know how to fix
my refrigerator.

> No, yet your life would likely collapse far faster without those.
my life is not the whole human civilization.

> You hire somebody to do the
> job if any of those mechanical systems breaks.  Similarly, most
> people hire programmers to do the software work they don't want
> to do.
...and pretty sure that computers are magical devices. oh, how many
times i've seen people doing tedious repetetive work for hours, that
kind of work that can be done in seconds by the simple script.

actually, that's why people so love their pads: "no-brain-required".
not only that, but "no easy way to made it do what i want" too. i still
can't understant that kind of attitude.

> I will agree that basic computer literacy is important, ie people
> should know their way around a computer or tablet, how to open
> and turn off apps, mouse or touch your way around the UI, etc.
> But beyond that it's a matter of interest: some people like
> Walter want to work on their car or computer, but most people
> don't.
inability to write a simple script to automate some task is not
different from inability to write some words on a piece of paper.
yet i see how the argument "oh, well, i hire someone to write that for
me" fits here.