Beginner ?. Why does D suggest to learn java

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 17 16:31:45 PDT 2014

On Friday, 17 October 2014 at 21:20:29 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:40:37 +0000
> Joakim via Digitalmars-d-learn
> <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>> This is nonsense and I see it repeated all the time, with
>> code.org and other efforts.  Do you know how to fix your car,
>> washing machine, or refrigerator?
> i have no car, i know how to fix my wahing machine, i know how
> to fix
> my refrigerator.

You do realize that most people are clueless about how to fix
those also, right?  Would you require that how to fix all that
mechanical stuff be taught in schools too?  Kids would never
leave school if they had to learn all the stuff everybody says
they should be forced to learn. ;)

>> No, yet your life would likely collapse far faster without
>> those.
> my life is not the whole human civilization.

Yet, civilization is made up of people like you, who would all
miss those mechanical systems far more than computers.

>> You hire somebody to do the job if any of those mechanical
>> systems breaks.  Similarly, most people hire programmers to do
>> the software work they don't want to do.
> ...and pretty sure that computers are magical devices. oh, how
> many
> times i've seen people doing tedious repetetive work for hours,
> that
> kind of work that can be done in seconds by the simple script.

They should use tools like Automator instead, no programming
needed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automator_(software)

> actually, that's why people so love their pads:
> "no-brain-required".
> not only that, but "no easy way to made it do what i want" too.
> i still
> can't understant that kind of attitude.

Tablets are optimized for basic usage, not saving files and
document editing and whatever else you might want to do on a PC.
Most people just need a basic appliance that isn't going to catch
viruses or require registry hacks.

>> I will agree that basic computer literacy is important, ie
>> people should know their way around a computer or tablet, how
>> to open and turn off apps, mouse or touch your way around the
>> UI, etc.  But beyond that it's a matter of interest: some
>> people like Walter want to work on their car or computer, but
>> most people don't.
> inability to write a simple script to automate some task is not
> different from inability to write some words on a piece of
> paper.

It is completely different, because there are tools like
Automator to help you automate your workflow without needing to
write anything.  If you need to communicate something on paper-
well, nobody uses paper these days so let's say in text ;) -
that's more basic and fundamental.

> yet i see how the argument "oh, well, i hire someone to write
> that for
> me" fits here.

For most people, that is a better route, particularly if they
don't need to modify the script as they go and just need it
written once.