Basic DerelictOrg and Deimos question

Justin Whear via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 24 11:16:52 PDT 2014

On Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:04:13 +0000, WhatMeWorry wrote:

> Just for clarity's sake, should I consider the DerelictOrg and Deimos
> (packages, projects, or libraries) as separate from one another?  Or
> does DerelictOrg use Deimos behind the scenes?

They are quite different.  The Deimos packages are static bindings to the
libraries--requiring you to statically link.  This, incidentally is why
there
is no Deimos binding for OpenGL: it cannot be statically linked (unless
you go
with a software implementation like MESA) because libGL is provided by the
end user's video hardware drivers.

If you're writing games or similar that you want to distribute,
definitely go
with the dynamic bindings that Derelict provides.  It allows the end-user
to use
whatever version they already have installed.