compile "automation", makefile, or whatever?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 16 14:54:08 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at 20:31:33 UTC, Cliff wrote:
> On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at 20:29:12 UTC, K.K. wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at 19:26:29 UTC, Cliff wrote:
>>> I want to say somewhere on the forums are some descriptions of
>>> using CMake for this.  Might try searching for that.
>>
>> Yeah I just looked up the CMake thing. It definitely seems
>> worth
>> playing with, though I'm not really sure how extensive it's D
>> support currently is :S
>
> Out of curiosity, why are you not using dub (on the
> command-line)?

Is dub intended to be a replacement for make? I've never used it
beyond just playing around with it here and there, but my
impression was that it is wonderful if you're doing a pure D
project and have a dependency on some of the libraries in their
repository. In my case, I'm calling libraries on my local machine
that I wrote and linking to existing C libraries. I couldn't
figure out how to do that in dub, but given that the alternative
was to type a few lines into a Makefile, I didn't see the point.