IMAP library

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 12 11:49:00 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 12 April 2015 at 17:27:32 UTC, Jens Bauer wrote:

> I won't say it's impossible, but it would be cumbersome
> processing email on an AVR.

I do miss the days of having to work within very real hardware
constraints to achieve something only just about achievable.  But
part of the joy goes out of it when you know that the constraint
is artifical.

> But there are Arduino using ARM Cortex-M microcontrollers too.

Yes - I meant this in a loose, everyday, form of speaking.

> I can mention a couple of microcontrollers that have ethernet
> support (eg. they need a PHY of your choice and for instance a
> HanRun ethernet connector) - Examples are STM32F4xx from
> ST-Microelectronics and
> LPC1758/LPC1768/LPC1769/LPC177x/LPC178x/LPC43xx from NXP.
> There are others from other vendors as well, but those above
> are quite popular and very easy to find as stand-alone chips or
> small evaluation boards.

Tku - I have one of these modules lying around, but have not had
time to hook it up yet and don't remember which one.  We may not
have been delivered the world of the Jetsons, but I am still
occasionally astonished that what was only imagination in
childhood is now almost too ordinary to be worth remarking on
today.

One aspect of embedded stuff I haven't seen people comment on is
that even if D is not yet there for running for regular use on
the controller, you still need to talk to it from the host or
control unit, and I guess D can be quite useful there.  Also for
processing logs, and so on.

> I find it particularly interesting to be able to send an email
> to a device, which can then process and do some simple things
> (eg. turn stuff on/off, send back the room temparature, etc.) -
> also a mail-robot would be quite interesting as a stand-alone
> "thing".

Yes - makes sense.  (Reminded of an article on the supposed spam
epidemic from networked 'toasters').  Email might not be the best
protocol for this, but it is easy.

> It'll be ready when it's ready. When building in small steps,
> the job often gets easier.
>
> May you be successful with ease!

Thank you!  And v interesting what you are doing on the
microcontroller side, too - and I hope that goes well.

Laeeth