IMAP library

Jens Bauer via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 12 10:27:31 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 11 April 2015 at 22:45:39 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

> Yes - nice to know it can do that also.  For me I need to have
> a way of managing large amounts of email (I have about 2mm
> messages) including for natural language processing etc.
> Dovecot/sieve + pipe facility is ok, but not perfect for
> everything.  I guess it should work fine for regular ARM etc -
> perhaps not an Arduino!

I won't say it's impossible, but it would be cumbersome
processing email on an AVR.
But there are Arduino using ARM Cortex-M microcontrollers too.

I can mention a couple of microcontrollers that have ethernet
support (eg. they need a PHY of your choice and for instance a
HanRun ethernet connector) - Examples are STM32F4xx from
ST-Microelectronics and
LPC1758/LPC1768/LPC1769/LPC177x/LPC178x/LPC43xx from NXP.
There are others from other vendors as well, but those above are
quite popular and very easy to find as stand-alone chips or small
evaluation boards.

I find it particularly interesting to be able to send an email to
a device, which can then process and do some simple things (eg.
turn stuff on/off, send back the room temparature, etc.) - also a
mail-robot would be quite interesting as a stand-alone "thing".

> Have a few other things on the boil, and also constrained in
> how much time I can spend for various reasons.
I have the exact same problems. ;)

> So don't plan or expect on it being finished soon, although I
> hope it might be.
It'll be ready when it's ready. When building in small steps, the
job often gets easier.

May you be successful with ease!