Graphics/font/platform backends with common interfaces?

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 25 16:20:44 PST 2015

On 26/12/15 3:46 AM, thedeemon wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23 December 2015 at 23:34:58 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>
>> So far I've been implementing windowing and image libraries for Phobos.
>> Right now windowing works on Windows minice eventing. Once eventing is
>> done it is ready for the first stage of feedback.
>
> I don't understand something about this project. Having existing GtkD,
> DFL, DlangUI, SimpleDisplay, DQuick and probably a few others, creating
> windows on different platforms and eventing seems to be a solved
> problem, multiple times solved. But your project is lasting for years at
> this little stage. And this makes me wonder what it is about.

I take a lot longer because I'm not doing the quick and dirty.
In a few hundred lines you can on Windows for example create a window
and OpenGL context. Great!

But now what about iterating over the displays? Screenshots?
Changing title? Icons? Notifications?

This is why it is not a solved problem.

I've just checked SDL, it doesn't handle notifications at all and a
bunch of other things I do.

I'm almost ready for a feedback post. Problem is.. png image loader is
failing on palette interlaced loading.