Filling a char array with letters and element type of char[]

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 3 10:59:45 PST 2015

On 03/03/2015 12:18 AM, Kadir Erdem Demir wrote:

 > I have an char[];
 >
 > char[] strArr = "http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/ekonomi".dup;
 >
 > I stripped the domain out of url like:
 >
 > auto domain = findSplitAfter(strArr, "http://")[1].until('/');
 >
 > Than because I am new to the language I became curious if I change
 > domain(which I believe a input iterator); the values of strArr will also
 > change or not.

.front of a char range is a dchar that is created on the fly (i.e. it is
an rvalue), effectively making such ranges "generators". If possible,
setting the returned dchar would not change the original char.

 > But if the array is a array of ints it compiles.

Elements of some ranges (e.g. slices) are lvalues. When needed,
hasLvalueElements can detect the kind of range at compile time:

   http://dlang.org/phobos/std_range.html#hasLvalueElements

Ali