Filling a char array with letters and element type of char[]

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Mar 3 11:48:31 PST 2015

 > Sure, but I think that for phobos to say you can't fill a large char[]
 > with a repeat of small char[], but you can fill a large int[] with a
 > repeat of small int[], is more of a problem than somehow fixing the
 > underlying situation.
 >
 > Other algorithms treat char[] specially. fill should too.

std.string.representation works in this case.

import std.stdio;
import std.algorithm;
import std.string;

void main()
{
     char[] strArr = "http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/ekonomi".dup;
     auto domain = findSplitAfter(strArr.representation,
                                  "http://")[1].until('/');
     fill(domain, 'a');
     writeln(strArr);
}

Prints

http://aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa/ekonomi

Ali

P.S. Grrr. Why can't I ever remember the name of that function!
(representation, representation, representation, ...)